Friday, February 14, 2014

The Lego Movie: Maybe Not So Bad?

Legos! When I started this blog I knew I'd end up talking about Legos sooner or later, but I didn't realize I would be talking about a Lego movie. Funny that.

Right away I will admit that I have a negative initial reaction to movies with names like "The Lego Movie," and I doubt my reaction is all that special or strange.  I mean, when the name of a product is front and center in a movie's title - especially in a kid's movie - isn't it normal to think the flick is just an extended exercise in product placement and just an expensive (both to make and to see) form of extended-length advertisement? Well, that's my reaction anyway.

On the other hand, the title "The Lego Movie" also has a hip ironic read as well, right?

"Dad, can we go see the Lego Movie?"

"What's it called?"

"The Lego Movie!"

Might as well name it what everyone would call it anyway.

So my initial reaction to hearing about the film was negative, largely based on the name alone. But I'm hearing that it's a decent film.

Both the LA Weekly and the LA Times give it good reviews.

And I'll admit, this faux "bloopers" reel made me chuckle. Maybe this flick's worth a viewing?



No comments:

Post a Comment